I recently found this video. It is the earliest known recording of Stevie Ray Vaughan! It is very interesting to listen too as it shows the roots of his playing. However if you compare this video to something later on in his career when he had been influenced by other musicians, you can see how his playing had changed yet his roots stayed the same.
For my final project, I decided that I would take what I learn from the musicians that I read about and attempt to apply their ways, to my music. I picked four musicians that are musicians that have really inspired me in the last half year. I figured that since my last blogs have been more genre specific, I would break from that and get even more personal. By doing this, I hoped that I would be able to answer a few of my own questions. Some of these questions included, how should I mix Jazz and Blues together without it being "Incorrect" The first step to adjusting my musical mindset to what my inspirations had to say was literally changing the way that I approach music. In the last few years, I have been really hard on my playing. I have been trying to perfect two totally different voices in my music. To be more specific, I have been working really hard on developing my blues roots and my jazz roots just like Miles and the earlier musicians I read about had suggested. Howe...
210-220 Modal (188) - A word describing the key changes of a tune. Giant steps (195) - A tune coltrane wrote that is regarded as one of the hardest songs in jazz. 1959 (201) - The year that jazz changed with the releases of “kind of blue” “Giant steps” and “The shape of jazz to come” Blanketing (201) technique that coltrane used. He would play many notes at once creating a blanket of notes. Quadtime (202) When the quarternote is multiplied by 4. Reed (204) - the wooden piece on a wind instrument that creates some of the tone. Bell (205) - the sound hole of the horn Horn (205) - broad term used for a sax or trumpet. Horizontal (207) Playing in one key Vertical (207) playing in many different keys Staff (208) what sheet music is written on
250-273 Up to this point in the book, I have followed Stevie's career up to his break down. Stevie since the beginning of his career got very involved with all sorts of different drugs and alcohol. One of his favorite drugs was cocaine as it allowed him to stay awake and gig with more intensity. It was unfortunate that Stevie decided to use drugs and not the method of simply sleeping as it wore his health down until he had a breakdown. In the middle of his European tour of 1987, Stevie had a mental breakdown where, "I woke up one day in very bad shape. Woke up crying, scared to death and didn't know why. Physically, I was a wreck. Mentally, spiritually and emotionally it was chaos." I had heard this quote a while ago when I was really deep into Stevie's music. After reading this section of the book, it makes so much sense now! In this section, Stevie stated that he had been using forms of cocaine since he was six years old. According to Stevie, through his abusi...
wow this is a very good song. You should compare him playing live to playing a recording and find similarities and differences.
ReplyDelete