Quote blog

322-352 (finished)

Now that I have finished the Stevie Wonder "Signed Sealed Delivered" biography, I feel as though I have a new understanding on all of the different mentalities that different musicians have. For Stevie, It was making a strong point in all of his music. Coming from his time, being blind and black proved to have somewhat of a challenge. However, he pushed past that and became a successful musician. As I had mentioned in previous blogs, Stevie's live was very difficult as it was full of accidents and hardship. One of the things that surprised me throughout the book was how modest he was about his extreme success. When talking about his gift and all that he had done for the music industry, he would always revert to saying that he was blessed that god gave him the ability to do what he wanted with his life, that being music.  He also talked about how everyone has the ability to do something with their lives, this is where I got the quote below.

I think that this quote is a very true statement. I see so many people in my grade that have such unique personalities and talents that have the potential to do such amazing things. Think about it, have you ever met a person who did not have the ability to do SOMETHING that could have an effect on their life around them? I can already tell you that you have not. I think that Stevie's quote below really strikes a valid point in that people need to start looking harder at themselves to find what potential they have in life. Last years English class and our discussions on potential really opened up my mind on this topic.


We all have ability. The difference is how we use it. (313)

In my life I have started trying to see the areas that I have potential and have started trying to really expand in those areas. For example. The reason why I chose to do my blogs on soul and blues musicians is because that is the music style that I really identify with over jazz. Jazz is an important style to have "under ones fingers" however like all music, if it does not connect with you on the deepest level then it is not where your potential lies. Looking back at my blogs, I am now really wishing that I had also read about a musician named Derek Trucks. Trucks is currently my favorite musician in the music industry and is a huge inspiration in my life. Since really getting into Trucks and reading about the importance of maximizing potential in music like Coltrane, Vaughan and Wonder did, I have seen a significant improvement in my music. Image result for stevie wonder potentialThis picture is of Marvin Gay from a famous moment titled "Gay talks potential with Wonder"

Comments

  1. Jake,
    Your reading life, and studying musicians formally like this, should not end when this class does. You know what you want to have a career in, and you don't have a formal English class next semester. Why not continue reading one biography a month?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely going to continue to read about the lives of the musicians that I am inspired by. Recently I have been looking into the life of a musician named Sean Costello. He died recently and made a really big impact on the blues world in the 2000s! Knowing a little bit about the musicians that I listen too helps me a lot with understanding why their music sounds the way it does.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, logged in on Kalyn Markuns' Chromebook at the moment.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final Project

Q2 Plan