Analytical blog

Stevie Ray Vaughan (1-40)

After beginning the Stevie Ray Vaughan biography, Stevie had a very similar introduction to the guitar that many other blues musicians had. At the age of 10, he was inspired to try to play the guitar by his older brother Jimi Vaughan. Stevie picked up a plastic Sears toy guitar on which he learned how to play the blues by ear. From here on, Stevie learned the styles of Albert King and BB King. This early influence is what stayed with him for the rest of his life. The early influence was given to him by his brother who brought blues into his home household.

This experience for Stevie relates to the essential question of what childhood influence does to ones sound as an instrumentalist. Just listening to him, I can hear the BB King in his melodic lines and the Albert King in his bends and turn around ideas. The most important part to take away from knowing about Stevie's deep childhood inspirations is what it does to his playing. Later on in life, Stevie began listening to other musicians as well as the popular music that was on at the time. He was also surrounded by many amazing blues players in Texas that did not share much in common with the way that BB and Albert King played. Stevie also pulled a lot from these players, however, his roots are in BB and Albert. This is what one can take away from childhood influences as far as music is concerned. What you are first deeply wrapped up in is what stays with you and your playing.

Here is a video of Stevie and Albert --- listen for how their ideas come from the same place!

For me, I think I have an idea on what I need to do as far as learning different music styles is concerned. To learn jazz. I need to learn the ideas and origins of the original people that started the genre. For example, instead of learning how to play like Stevie, I should learn Albert and BB King ideas since that is where Stevie originated. The same goes for jazz. I like to listen to a lot more modern players. I also like to learn how to play like these modern players. However, without knowing how to play like their influences, I can never become my own version of that person. I also can't fully understand what I am playing. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Project

Q2 Plan

Quote blog