I have not gotten my books yet, but I was listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan's Riviera Paradise, and I noticed that he uses a lot of jazz vocabulary in his playing. It sounds a lot like his ideas came from Kenny Burrell!
250-273 Up to this point in the book, I have followed Stevie's career up to his break down. Stevie since the beginning of his career got very involved with all sorts of different drugs and alcohol. One of his favorite drugs was cocaine as it allowed him to stay awake and gig with more intensity. It was unfortunate that Stevie decided to use drugs and not the method of simply sleeping as it wore his health down until he had a breakdown. In the middle of his European tour of 1987, Stevie had a mental breakdown where, "I woke up one day in very bad shape. Woke up crying, scared to death and didn't know why. Physically, I was a wreck. Mentally, spiritually and emotionally it was chaos." I had heard this quote a while ago when I was really deep into Stevie's music. After reading this section of the book, it makes so much sense now! In this section, Stevie stated that he had been using forms of cocaine since he was six years old. According to Stevie, through his abusi...
I thought for this quick burst blog, I would share a song that really changed the way that I look at music. Back before I really got into playing the guitar, I was really into playing metal and shred guitar! My favorite band was Metallica! Then, my guitar teacher introduced me to Robben Ford's "Revelation". This song absolutely changed my life. I remember the first time that I heard this song. I was sitting where I am right now, noodling on my guitar. I then received the link to the song and decided to take a listen to it. This song embraced the soul of the blues and the technicality of the jazz, which I did not know that I would like until later on. From this song, I heard Stevie Ray Vaughan and immediately fell in love with the blues.
273- 336 finish Stevie Ray Vaughan Tone (254) - The sound of the musical instrument Treble (254) - The sound that can be described as piercing. Bass (255) - Low rumbles Middle (255) - What fills out the sound in-between bass and treble. Impedance (255) - the resistance of a speaker. Ohms (261) - The unit that describes the resistance. One Twelve (262) - The dimensions of a lot of Stevies amplifiers. Scuttle Buttin' (264) - One of Stevie's most famous songs due to its speed and intensity. Hammond (266) - the type of organ that Reese Wynans, Stevie's piano player used. 12 gauge (273) - The heaviest gauge of strings that one can put on an electric guitar. Stevie did it! ES 335 (280) - The guitar that Stevie is holding on the cover of his album "Soul to Soul" Montreux Jazz Festival (291) - A festival that Stevie got booed at once. After playing the first song, the crowd changed their minds. Tex-Mex (294) - The mixture of Texas and Mexico Brisket Tacos ...
Comments
Post a Comment